May 20, 2008

A Thousand Miles

More like 15,000 miles. 15,000 miles worth of Frequent Flier points. Excellent.

I (Jessica) am on my way to South Korea right now for my cross cultural and I'm
really starting to get excited. South Korea is the size of Indiana but has some of the most technological cities on the planet. Tomorrow, this is where I'll be - 13 hours ahead of Michigan and in Seoul (pronounced "Soul"). I even get to fly over the North Pole which is what is what is super exciting!


Also.

I am excited for an intense tournament of tic-tac-toe with Andrew. For the entire 13 hour plane ride. You may laugh now, but you don't know if I'm kidding.

Here are some of the things that we get to visit:

US Embassy

DMZ Tour

American Military

Yoido Full Gospel Church

Bank of Korea

Palaces & Shrines

“Hagwon” schools

Methodist Theological University

Korea House

“Blue House” (The Korean equivalent of The White House)

Government Offices

Gates & Parks

Manna Methodist Church

Insadong

“Nanta”

Centennial Christian School

Media Outlets

Lotte World

Korean Cinema (Some are 21 stories high!)

Pulguksa Temple

Sokkuram (Cave of the Buddha)

Tumuli Park

Anapchi Pond

Haeinsa Temple

Tripitaka Koreana

Gaya Mountains

Sooyoungro Church

APEC Center

Haeundae Beach

Nampo-dong Market

Modern History Museum

Sporting Event
Dong-Eui University

If that's at all overwhelming for you, you can imagine how I feel. And don't ask me what some of this stuff is. I have no clue. I talked a lot during class. Actually, that's more like Andrew made me laugh a lot (and for those of you who know me, I'm serious. A lot.). Ironic that we were the ones chosen to be student leaders on this trip, huh?

So, to wrap it up, I don't know how often I'll be around to write in the blog for the next month or so. As soon as I get back from South Korea (June 10), I'll be leaving for Aruba with my family until the June 20, just in time for Justin's wedding.

I didn't even plan that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you made sure people knew how to pronounce Seoul. How uneducated do you think your readers are?
I hope you'll be able to blog while you're there. Cuz I'd like that.

And I got your letter :)